The Department of Microbiology was established in 1991. It is now widely recognized as Centre of Superiority in Microbiology both with respect to teaching and research. The Department presently runs B. Sc. (Credit Course) course. Many students have been completed the Graduate program from the Department. The alumni of the Department occupy positions of great responsibilities in different Institutions.The Department has a good liaison with the industries such as Serum Institute of India Ltd., Pune, Haffkine Biopharmaceuticals Ltd., Praj Industries Ltd., Mumbai, to mention a few. The department of Microbiology is energetically involved in the process of learning, teaching, evaluation and research since its establishment. The research activities of the department are also well recognized
The Department has good infrastructure for teaching and research. There is a research laboratory, three classrooms, a Conference Hall and one seminar Hall. The Department is equipped with an E-classroom which can offer live lectures of the imminent faculty simultaneously to different outlets.
The Department has well equipped configured computers having internet facility.The Department hasthe regular and routine bacteriological equipments such as autoclave, centrifuge, spectrophotometer, hot air oven, incubator, refrigerator, compound microscopes and binocular microscope.
The departmental Library is self-sufficient having so many subject related books. The Library is managed by the students of the Microbiology Department and is open on all the days of the week.
The Department of Microbiology frequentlyhosts research talks and seminars. The Department is dynamicallyinvolved in the activities related to The Association of Microbiologists of India (AMI).
The thrust areas of this department identified are Molecular Biology,Environmental Microbiology,Microbial Biochemistry and Nanotechnology.
The Department maintains its mission to
- Create a place of Academic Excellence in the field of education and research in Microbiology
- Offeranecho(sound) academic background for development of personality particularly for a successful career in the field of Microbiology
- Provide an environment whichpromotes continuous improvement and innovation in the subject
- Inculcate in students right skills oriented towards self-development
- To inculcate in students the need for the value of dignity of labor
Departmental faculty includes one Assistant Professor at present. The present facultyis academically excellent in terms of her educational background, research and teaching.
The facultyDr. Rubina A.Sattar Shertateis research oriented. The faculty is constantly publishing research papers in the national and international journals. The facultyhas total 25 Research Publicationin well reputed research journals having high impact factor. The faculty actively presented research papers in 23 different national and international conferences and seminars and won trophies and prizes.The faculty won so many trophies and prizes in “AVISHKAR” University and State Level AvishkarResearchCompetition organized at Savitribai Phule University, Pune andNorth Maharashtra University, Jalgaon at Research Scholar and Teacher level.The faculty has a Google Scholar citation of 45, h-index 4 and i10-index 1 since 2015.
- Submission of more than 200 16s rRNA and 18s RNA gene sequence to the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) of Heidelberg (Germany)and DNA Databank of Japan (DDBJ) and have got the accession numbers for all organisms.
- To start the Certificate Course in Fermentation Technology (CCFT).
- Extramural Research with funding agencies e.g.Department of Science and Technology (DST), Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science and Technology.
Area of Research:
I] Pure microbiology
- Microbial cytology
- Microbial physiology
- Microbial ecology
- Microbial genetics
- Cellular Microbiology
- Evolutionary Microbiology
- Molecular Microbiology
II] Applied microbiology
- Medical Microbiology
- Pharmaceutical Microbiology
- Industrial Microbiology
- Microbial biotechnology
- Food Microbiology
- Agricultural Microbiology
- Plant Microbiology and Plant pathology
- Soil Microbiology
- Veterinary Microbiology
- Environmental Microbiology
- Water microbiology
- Aero microbiology (or Air Microbiology)
- AVISHKAR Research Competition
- Actively involved the students in conferences of Association of Microbiologist of India (AMI) by poster presentation and oral presentation
- ActivelyParticipating the students in seminars and symposiums
- Students’ college seminar
- Online Awareness Quiz Programme about COVID-19 Pandemic
- Guest Lectures
- Group Discussion
Services and Facilities Available:
1. Departmental Library
The Department has its own small Library, which provides the immediate needs of the students in addition tothe researchers. The library has books on general microbiology, biotechnology,agricultural microbiology, environmental microbiology, medical microbiology, immunology, food microbiology, genetics and other life sciences. Library is open for all the members of the department on all the days of the week.
The Department has quite a fewconfigured computers along withthe internet facility.Multimedia system linked with the LCD projector is installed in the classroom for the benefits of all students by Audio-Visual technique.
Department has a research laboratory, autoclave, centrifuge, spectrophotometer, hot air oven, incubator, refrigerator, compound microscopes and binocular microscope and one computer laboratory.
4. Practical Demonstrations
6. Skill Enhancement Course
7. Career Guidance andCounseling
8.Google class roomhttps://classroom.google.com/u/0/c/OTg1MDg0MDg4NzBa
9. E- content
Teaching Staff of Department
|Sr.No.||Faculty Name||Designation||Qualification||Specialization||Photograph||View Profile|